Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Success Story

I watch Sudha as she goes about doing her work - a steady, clean, silent worker... she brings me a cup of tea and I say a thank you - to which her grey-green eyes light up... "Some more sugar?", she asks me slowly in English... and I say "No thank you", making no attempt to speak in Tamil.

I listen about Sudha - about how her husband is alcoholic, how she has two daughters in her home town, how she asked to move to Singapore with the family I'm visiting, how she came here and in no time picked up English, how her faith is unshakeable, how her nerves are made of steel, how she walked into Changi Airport confidently - not caring too much about making a mistake, how she knows she's here with a purpose, how she has adapted so well, and how she always wears a smile.

I understand - not just Sudha, but also what success is about. The triumph of the human spirit over circumstances and comfort zones, that steely determination to ensure you don't live out your past but create a better future, simple dreams which may be simplistic to some...
Cheers to those who are succesful and recognized... and kudos to those like Sudha who recognize success.